Friday, January 14, 2011

If at first you don’t succeed, Tri Tri again?

My new years resolution is to run a sprint triathlon. There, I said it. And if I start to really train and rock it, then I’m going to do the Hy-Vee Triathlon in September.

Today is January 14, so that gives me a while. But listen kids, I need a good 3 months to prepare for a 5K! Let alone a swim, bike ride and brisk jog.

I’m looking at a few sprint tri’s but I’m leaning toward the Copper Creek Triathlon http://www.coppercreektri.com/ in Pleasant Hill.

It’s a 750 meter swim, a 20 K bike ride and a 5K run. And it’s Sunday June 26th. That’s approximately 23 weeks away.

I’ve been swimming a few times a week since I moved to Des Moines because I feel really comfortable at the YMCA pool here. The bike ride doesn’t intimidate me because I’ve tackled RAGBRAI… But that 5K is daunting to me. After all that swimming, and a bike ride that’s not something to scoff at… a 5K isn’t exactly the thing dreams are made of.

The Hy-Vee Triathlon is 1.5 km swim, 40 km ride, 10 km run. Basically double the sprint. My plan- recommended to me by my coworker- is to plan for the full tri and I’ll be in sprint tri shape when the time comes.

Now let me tell you a little story about the last time I tried to attempt a physical feat… the 10K. I hated it. I was one of the last people to finish it… followed only by some little kid and his grandma hot on my tail. I got sick the second I started to run… before the first mile was even up I had to stop at the port-a-potty.

Not cool. And I swore I’d never do that again… well guess what, I’m gonna do that plus a bunch of other crap. GREAT.

I’ll let you wrap your mind around what an idiot I am and follow this gem of a blog-post up with my game plan. I did almost get a minor in coaching… so maybe I can spur myself on to a victory. Or at least a finish. Ok, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, lets just hope I don’t drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment