Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dinners We've LOVED!

I’m living at home at the moment, and I was approached by my dad the other day a little frustrated. He is retired and my mom works. Since my dad is at home all day, he feels the pressure to make dinner and have it ready when my mom gets home. The only problem is that his recipe repertoire is a bit limited. Don’t get me wrong, he makes a great tater tot casserole and his just-add-water pancakes rival any… but strangely enough, he and my mom are pretty healthy. And I think he and my mom were getting a little tired of the same-old-thing.

My mom on the other hand has a more broad palate; however, her dinners usually consist of one thing from column A, one thing from column B, and a glass of milk. I really wasn’t introduced to FLAVOR till I started cooking myself. We never even kept salt and pepper on the table till we were given some bovine shakers by a foreign exchange student when I was in college. A typical “Mom dinner” is comprised of a chicken breast and frozen peas in the microwave. Lately we’ve sliced up some fruit to shake it up a little…

So I took the challenge and started to put together some easy dinners that I could make between when I got home (5:12) and when people wanted to eat (before 6:30ish).

Here are a few that we LOVED! There was really only one recipe that I didn’t love… an avocado potato salad, but that was because the avocado was CRUNCHY and it made me way grumpier than I really should have been.

Corn, Avocado, Tomato & Crab Salad

http://mangotomato.blogspot.com/2009/08/corn-avocado-tomato-crab-salad.html

Chicken Chipotle Burrito Bowls

http://www.grouprecipes.com/16577/chicken-chipotle-burrito-bowls.html/print

-MINUS the tortillas and PLUS Cilatro Lime Rice

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts.html

Both of these recipes are chuck full of veggis to get my “4-a-day”, and they’re all GREAT leftover. Nom, Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment